Friday, September 22, 2006

Arrived

I'm writing this from the really big internet cafe in the New Town of Edinburgh; "new" referring to the 1600's, if I remember correctly.

I got into town yesterday afternoon at about 3pm. I wrote last time that my flight left Halifax at around 8pm and that I was taking the shuttle over. That was before I looked at my itinerary again on Tuesday and realized that 22:35 did not refer to 8:35pm but to 10:35pm. If I took the shuttle I would get to the airport at 3:30pm and have 7 hours to wait which would have sucked. So instead I drove my truck over with my father and my uncle and then they drove it back from the airport to PEI. That way I only had to wait around for about 2.5 hours.

I spent yesterday afternoon just trucking around town a bit, trying to wear myself out so that I would certainly sleep well (even though I was quite tired from not sleeping much on my overnight flight - I nearly fell asleep on my feet during the 45 minutes that I had to wait in line at immigration in London). That didn't seem to work - I got to bed around 11pm here but I guess my body still knew that it was 7pm and so I couldn't manage to sleep for ages. The loud screaming Scottish guys who had a fight outside my room on the street at 1 am didn't help any either although it was funny to listen to. I haven't felt too worse for the wear today, and I imagine I'll sleep at a normal time tonight.

I did my orientation session this morning and applied for a bank account that should be ready in a few days. I'm going to look into getting a cell phone tomorrow, and since it's the weekend I think I'll just do some touring around Edinburgh figure out where I'm going on Monday. I'm still keen on the Highlands, but I also saw an advertisement for a job in Edinburgh as an event organizer for the Edinburgh International Science Festival, so I've written an e-mail to get more info on that and I'll wait to see what it's all about.

Anyway, just about out of time, so later.

No comments: