Sunday, August 05, 2007

Some songs for ya

At the ceilidhs this past week (and I assume it will continue this week), it's been common for people to "give us a song", as the request goes, in amongst the banter (chat). There's been a number of Gaelic songs, of course, but I did hear two new (to me) Scots songs, and since they're in language intelligible to English speakers, I thought I'd share them.

To the tune that you may know better as "She'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain", here's the lyrics to the first one (it seems to be traditional):
Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus,
Oh ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus,
Ye cannae shove yer granny, for she's yer mammy's mammy,
Ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus.

Ye can shove yer other granny aff a bus,
Ye can shove yer other granny aff a bus.
You can shove yer other granny, for she's yer daddy's mammy,
Ye can shove yer other granny aff a bus.

The other song is apparently to the tune of something I don't know, and the words were then written by Billy Connolly, a very funny man. So check out this YouTube recording I found of The Welly Boot Song to hear it for yourself. A note for my Canadian readership: "wellies" (plural of "welly boot") are rubber boots. The name is short for Wellington boot. They are generally green over here, not black with red soles like at home.

No comments: