Thursday, September 13, 2007

Movies on a truck

I went to see The Simpsons Movie last night and I enjoyed it - it was better than I thought it would be since I'd heard people saying that it was only "ok". Anyway, there is obviously no cinema in Kyleakin, so the way I saw the film was in a Screen Machine - a tractor trailer that travels around the Highlands and Islands, with sides on the trailer box that slide out so that that seats and a screen can be set up inside. It's a cool idea, and the price isn't too bad either - £5.50 for an adult ticket.

It seems to be funded in part by some government agency for the Highlands and Islands (and Royal Bank of Scotland, for whatever reason) so we had to sit though about 20 minutes of advertisement for the Highlands and Islands and what they have to offer in terms of environment, sport, arts, language, etc. That seemed strange to me, since the audience is already living in the Highlands and Islands, so they should already know about the place and you won't be convincing anyone new to visit or come to stay.

No comments: