Monday, February 25, 2008

"Chips, glorious chips!"

McCain Food, the New Brunswick company that sells frozen fries and the like, also sells food in the UK, which I never imagined that they did. Although looking them up online, I discover that they're a very large company.

Anyway, over here their fries are known as McCain chips, and they have an elaborate song composed for their advertisement in which people who appear as though they're in a stage musical sing about sunflower oil making the chips have only 5% fat. It's quite catchy in its own way. I found a video version of it online here; there's probably others out there as well, like on YouTube.

And just because it's on the same website, here's the Christmas Irn-Bru advert that parodies a UK-well-known song called "Walking in the Air" from a Christmas special show called "The Snowman" (based on a book). Even not knowing the original song I like the ad. It's serene and amusing at once, and I have often had it stuck in my head, especially the final line of "He nicked my Irn-Bru and let go of my hand."

If you watch the video, you can see the boy and the snowman fly by famous Scottish places: the Falkirk Wheel, some sheep, the Forth Bridge, Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens (ice rink and can see the castle briefly), Loch Ness (with monster), deer, the Glenfinnan Viaduct (now famous from the Harry Potter films), Eilean Donan Castle, the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, and then the boy falls into Glasgow's George Square. It's a pretty animation; I'd like to see the original sometime.

No comments: