Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Crushing snails

Sign on Portsmouth dockyard:
I think I read that that is a lowered level from "critical" last week. It might also be why it took me about 40 minutes to get through immigration at Luton airport even though it was late at night. I think the Non-EU passport holders line should be divided into two: countries the UK likes (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) and countries whose residents slow the line down.

Went on a Portsmouth Harbour tour yesterday, thought this cloud formation was cool.

Here's another interesting cloud behind the Spinnaker Tower. The tower's not as impressively high to me since I've seen the Toronto CN Tower but it's a lot more attractive.

The main bus station and ferry terminal in Portsmouth is called The Hard Interchange, commonly referred to as just "The Hard". Since I've actually been staying in the town of Fareham, I've been taking the bus into town each day. Today when purchasing my return ticket, I tried to make a joke out of it by saying "Hard return" please but the driver gave no indication of getting it. Not that I blame him :)

Stacey and I went for a walk to the town of Wickham last night when it was just getting dark. The sidewalk became a narrow path out between the two towns, and were brushing past bushes and crunching on what I thought were tree cones. On the way back, I heard a crunch and Stacey said "there's another snail!" I was shocked - I'd no idea that I had been crushing snails! I've had snails as pets (working pets, mind you). For a moment, I seriously considered sweeping my path like those monks who don't want to kill anything. The moment passed.

I went to the Historic Dockyards today to visit the HMS Victory and HMS Warrior, but I'll write about that in a separate post because I have a lot to say.

2 comments:

Andytgeezer said...

Sorry Megan I don't get the Hard Return either - is it a Canadian thing?

Have you ever been to Glasgow?

There's a place called Balshagry, affectionately called "The Shag" by the locals.

When I was there last, I got a cab and the driver said

"To Shag?"

and I said

"No thanks, I'm tryin to give up"

Megan said...

No, the Canadian, just obscure computer geeky (not that I can even claim to be a computer geek).

A "hard return" is (in word processing) when you have a return (from the term carriage return back in typewriting times I guess) that starts a new paragraph. A "soft return" just starts a new line of text.

At least, that's my understanding.